‘Issues and discussion will be attendee-generated, meaning you will pick the most important topics and develop strategies and solutions.’
By Martin Tirado
Leaders in the snow and ice industry will meet together in a collaborative Think Tank on September 1-2, 2015 at the historic Willard Intercontinental in Washington, DC. SIMA facilitated an industry Think Tank last year in Detroit, which concluded in overwhelming support of the need for standards that can be easily implemented and widely practiced. Over the past year, SIMA has taken the ideas generated in 2014 and created these resources:
- Updates to the best management practices checklist – available for free download at www.sima.org/bestpractices.
- Publishing of the first, comprehensive snow and ice industry glossary of terms (coming soon).
- Sustainable Salt Initiative – A multi-year research project that uses contractor-based salt application processes to make informed decisions on how much salt to apply to meet client expectations.
- ANSI Accreditation of the Advanced Snow Management certificates (ASM) – ANSI accreditation verifies that every aspect of the ASM certificate programs are governed by processes and procedures that are fair, transparent, relevant and accountable.
The reason to hold a Think Tank in 2015 is to continue building the industry from last year’s accomplishments. The collective knowledge in the audience was powerful. Along with SIMA members, there were also several facility managers and insurance professionals in attendance to develop strategy that would reflect the interests of all stakeholders.
We will do this again on September 1-2, and hold a legislative ‘Day on the Hill’ on August 31 where attendees will be able to meet in the offices of their elected members of Congress to see how the U.S. government can help the snow and ice industry. Think Tank issues and discussion will be attendee-generated, meaning you will pick the most important topics and develop strategies and solutions.
I look forward to seeing you in Washington, DC! Here are some ways you can take action and use SIMA resources:
‘A big “thank you” to all sponsors, exhibitors, members, volunteers and the SIMA Board of Directors & Symposium Planning Committee for all their hard work and dedication to the association.’
The 2015 Snow & Ice Symposium is over, and SIMA’s record books are being rewritten! Over 1,900 total attendees, over 130 exhibit booths spread out over 100,000 square feet of space, hundreds of volunteers, sponsors, the media and a “who’s who” of the snow and ice industry convened in Schaumburg, IL from June 24-27. The greatest 4 days of snow and ice set these records in 2015:
- Highest total attendance: 1,966
- Most exhibitors in the trade show: 140
- Largest trade show size: 100,000+ square feet
Of the many highlights of the Symposium, 2015 was no different in recognizing our award winners and leaders of the industry during the snow & ice industry awards. This year’s winners included 28 new Certified Snow Professionals (CSP), 63 Advanced Snow Managers (ASM), and 23 Safety Award recipients. Additionally, these individuals and companies achieved the following prestigious awards:
- Alan Steiman Scholarship: Adam Hunter, A & J Lawn and Landscape LLC
- Greatest Story Never Told: Connor Kolb, WNY Snow Removal
- Volunteer of the Year: Debora Babin Katz, TrucBrush Corporation
- Employee of the Year: Katie Raymond, Case Snow Management, Inc.
- Top Recruiter: Paul Vanderzon, ASM, Metal Pless Inc.
- Snow Industry Commitment: Douglas Dynamics
- SIMA Environmental Leader of the Year: BSR Services Inc.
- Philanthropic Leadership Award: David Dudash
- Excellence in Business: About Time Snow & Ippolito Snow Services
A big “thank you” to all sponsors, exhibitors, members, volunteers and the SIMA Board of Directors & Symposium Planning Committee for all their hard work and dedication to the association. Also, be sure to thank the SIMA professional staff for all they do on a daily basis to continue to serve and support the growth of the snow and ice industry.
Visit www.sima.org/show to view the attendee resource center and session materials from this year’s presentations.
See you next year in Providence, Rhode Island, June 21-24, 2016 for the 19th Annual Snow & Ice Symposium!